Don’t miss out!

Get all the most important news and events to your inbox.

Protect our independence - donate now


Your contribution is appreciated.

Our non-for-profit, independent community journalism is produced by volunteers and survives thanks to your regular contributions.

An eight-goal thriller with more chances than a game of Monopoly saw Chasetown defeat Quorn 6-2 at the Scholars Ground on Saturday. There was no let-up in the action at any point of a hugely entertaining game, with the end-to-end flow of action more typical of a game of basketball at times.
Danny Smith
Chasetown got off to the best possible start when with the opening attack of the match Craig Marshall beat Quorn keeper Craig Jones and Danny Smith was there to tap the ball home and put the Scholars ahead. The home side’s lead lasted just four minutes before Phil Miller coolly chipped the ball over Ryan Price from the right and the ball bounced in for the equaliser. Smith looked set to re-establish the Scholars’ lead on 12 minutes but Kris Mathews was able to hoof the ball over the bar at the last second, but two minutes later he had his double when he calmly rounded Jones and walked the ball into the net to conclude an incredible first 15 minutes. Thereafter Chasetown continued to threaten with a bullish and attacking style, but Quorn proved well up to the task.  On the half hour Ben Steane produced one of his famous runs through the centre of the defence but sent his shot wide, while Liam Fitzpatrick battled his way past three defenders for the visitors only to fire over the bar. Chasetown added a third on 41 minutes when Marshall headed home from close range following a corner, with Smith then heading the ball into the far corner on the stroke of half time but the whistle had gone for a challenge on the keeper. Dave Egan cut inside a defender and blasted the ball inches over the bar as the second half began, before skipper Richard Teesdale headed on to Vaughan Thomas whose header was just tipped over the bar by Jones.  The ensuing corner saw Teesdale perfectly placed to fire into the roof of the net for the Scholars’ fourth. Yet again Quorn’s response was instant, with former Leicester City man Phil Gilchrist heading into the roof of the net just two minutes later. Chasetown then won a free kick on the edge of the area which Mark Branch had no problem in converting for the home side’s fifth, the ball taking the smallest deflection off the Quorn wall on its way in. Price then hung onto a shot from Miller as Quorn fought to get back into the game, but Chasetown were still in determined mode and on 82 minutes substitute Harry Harris added a sixth goal, picking up a ball into space from the left and side-footing it past Jones. Chasetown next visit Sheffield FC on Tuesday (7.45pm kick-off) before the FA Cup Preliminary Round sees the Scholars host AFC Wulfrunians next Saturday (3pm kick-off). Chasetown: Price, Holland, M Branch, Slater, Thomas, Teesdale (C), Steane, Greenway, Marshall, D Smith, Batchelor.  Subs: Harris (Steane 63), Milligan (M Branch 66), Bragoli, Egan, Birch (Marshall 72). Quorn: Jones, Marriot, Waite, Mathews (C), Gilchrist, Keast, Fitzpatrick, Robinson, Turner, Miller, Peel.  Subs: Wright (Turner 58), Ingram (Peel 66), Richards (Marriot 64)

2 replies on “Chasetown FC 6 Quorn 2”

Comments are closed.