The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Chasetown FC 1 Witton Albion FC 0

New Chasetown FC striker Reece Styche continued his impressive form to lead the Scholars to an excellent 1-0 victory against league leaders Witton Albion.

The side were missing regular skipper Richard Teesdale due to an ankle ligament injury, but with Dave Egan taking the armband the side made a spirited start, Reece Styche beating keeper Joe Clegg in the sixth minute to send the ball across goal, but Clegg was fast on his feet and was able to gather at the far post.

Vaughan Thomas headed a free kick over the bar eleven minutes in, but three minutes later the Scholars were ahead as Styche sprinted forward onto a long through ball and rounded the defence to curl home his first goal at the Scholars Ground.

Brad Maylett and Peter Heler were giving the Chasetown defence some trouble at the other end but they countered their attacks every time with Thomas working hard in the centre, and at the other end Styche was denied a second by Clegg on 28 minutes.

Maylett then produced a fine cross from the right and with Steve Foster beating John Branch down the left the Albion seemed certain to equalise, but Foster somehow fluffed his shot and sent the ball wide of the post to the amazement of both sets of supporters.

Branch was then on hand to counter a further Maylett cross and Foster went close again with an overhead kick, but Thomas was having a great game in the centre of defence and denied more efforts from the league leaders despite losing Richard Batchelor with a groin injury.

Witton looked set to fight back as the second half began, fired up by very vocal support, but with rain making the conditions tricky the pace slowed somewhat.

Chasetown were awarded a penalty in the 58th minute after Styche was brought down in the box, but Gary Birch drove the ball wide of the post having sent Clegg the wrong way.

Styche continued to battle his way down the right and carve his way past defenders at every opportunity, while substitute Danny Smith and captain Egan worked well together from the moment the former replaced Birch, but Smith’s contribution proved to be short-lived after he suffered a facial injury.

John Branch produced a fine cross under pressure on 69 minutes but Reece Styche’s effort was headed over the bar by the Albion defence, while the visitors had their first real chance of the half with five minutes on the clock but Andy Hadzik sent his shot over the bar.

Though tempers began to fray in the closing minutes, Chasetown were able to keep possession en route to a deserved victory having been on top throughout.

The next action for the Scholars sees them visit Cammell Laird this Saturday (October 10), kicking off at 3pm.

Chasetown: Price, J Branch, M Branch, Miller, Thomas, Milligan, Steane, Egan (c), Birch, Styche, Batchelor. Subs: D Smith (Birch 60), Farmer, Holland (Batchelor 41), Saunders, Bragoli (D Smith 77).
Witton Albion: Clegg, Booth, Adams, Pritchard, Rudd (c), Henry, Maylett, Hall, Foster, Tandy, Heler. Subs: Brodie, Hadzik (Tandy 84), Tai-Hogan (Heler 70).

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!