The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Wolstanton United FC Reserves 4 Chasetown FC Reserves 1

Chasetown FC Reserves saw their Staffordshire FA Challenge Cup campaign ended at the second round stage against Wolstanton United.

The game took a while to settle with both teams guilty of conceding possession on a heavy pitch on a cold and wet afternoon in Stoke-on-Trent.

It was Chasetown who had the first real chance of the game on 10 minutes, Daniel Rock flicking the ball onto Tom Billingham, but the midfielder could only volley straight at Hassett in the Wolstanton goal.

A minute later O’Callaghan played in Jack Scandrett whose cross come shot was driven across the face of goal but there was no Chasetown player present to convert as a further chance went begging.

The opening goal of the came after 13 minutes and it went to the home side, with the Chasetown defence at sixes and sevens Wolstanton’s Holmes cross from the left was met by the head of the unmarked Darlington who guided the ball past the diving James Fryer and into bottom left hand corner of the net.

The Scholars got back on level terms on 24 minutes with Daniel Rock scoring direct from a corner kick. Home goalkeeper Hassett – under pressure from the Chasetown attackers – could not prevent the in-swinging corner from entering the net.

Pressure from Scandrett then forced a mistake from Wolstanton defender Smith, but despite lobbing the home goalkeeper he saw his effort go just over the bar.

The last chance of the half saw Rene Williams force Wolstanton keeper Hassett into a low diving save from Drew Aiton’s through ball.

The opening 15 minutes of the second half saw the Scholars have their best period of the game with Chris Lewis, Drew Aiton and Jack Scandrett all going close for the visitors, however despite the constant pressure they could not find a way past Hassett in the home goal and ultimately were to pay for their missed chances.

A Holmes free kick on the hour forced Fryer into a diving save low down to his left as the home side began to regain the initiative from the visitors.

A neat flick on from Scandrett put in substitute Lee Wright but the youngster could only shoot narrowly wide.

On 78 minutes Wolstanton made the visitors pay, possession was needless lost in midfield and despite James Fryer beating Bagnall to the through ball his clearance rebounded off the home forward and into the empty Chasetown net to make the scoreline 2-1 to the team from Stoke.

Chasetown threw on forward Matthew Elwell for defender Carl Willetts, as they went for broke to try and get on level terms and force the game into extra time. However, it was the home side that scored again James Fryer could only push the ball skywards from a Holmes cross and the ball fell to Wolstanton’s Hamer who headed home from inside the six yard box as the visitors pressed the self destruct button.

The unmarked Bagnall headed home a free kick from Holmes to complete the scoring for the home side on 88 minutes and the Chasetown side were relieved when Referee Scerri blew for time shortly afterwards to prevent any further embarrassment.

The next action for the Scholars Reserves sees them entertain current league leaders Quorn Reserves next Saturday (November 14), kick off at 3pm.

Chasetown: Fryer, Willetts, Jamie Elwell, Hulin, Lewis (c), Billingham, Williams, O’Callaghan, Scandrett, Aiton, Rock.  Subs: Ivers (Aiton 86), Fletcher, Tams, Wright (Williams 61), Matthew Elwell (Willetts 82).

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.