The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Chasetown FC 0 Marine FC 1

Jamie Rainford scores for Marine against Chasetown FC

Jamie Rainford scores for Marine against Chasetown FC. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown FC’s first ever home game in the Evo-Stik Premier League ended in a 1-0 defeat to Marine.

Things were close-run for much of the game with both sides cancelling each other out nicely, but a chance attack at the beginning of the second half put the visitors ahead and it all came apart for the Scholars in the closing minutes with a disallowed goal and a sending off for star striker Dean Perrow.

After an even start the visitors had the first chance when captain Lee Parle burst in down the right but no-one was near enough to put away his cross.

The early pace was kept up in a lively opening to the game in perfect football conditions.  Stephen Johnson produced a dangerous-looking run down the right on 26 minutes but again the finishing touch could not be provided, and Chasetown were fighting hard as both sides kept things tight.

Jamie Rainford cut through the Scholars defence in the 32nd minute but his right-footed shot just cleared the bar, while the Marine defence were working overtime and the hosts saw precious few chances in the first half.

Referee Rob Smith and Chasetown's Gavin Saunders after their clash of heads. Pic: Dave Birt

Ref Rob Smith and Gavin Saunders after their clash of heads. Pic: Dave Birt

Marine took the lead with the very first attack of the second half, a free kick picked up by Rainford who turned expertly and slid the ball past Ryan Price to stun the Scholars fans.

A bizarre incident in the 56th minute saw Gavin Saunders collide with referee Rob Ellis, the man in black requiring treatment following a clash of heads leading to a five-minute delay but fortunately he was able to continue.  Saunders was not so lucky, sustaining a cut above his eye and being replaced by Duncan Swann-Horler.

The tight and close-run play had resumed following the visitors’ early strike, with neither side able to create many chances amid some fine defending from both sides.  Perrow found a way through in the 75th minute but keeper Ryan McMahon was equal to his low shot.

Rainford could have made it two in the 85th minute but Price was able to dive low to save his close-range shot before Perrow went close again but the ball went just wide for a corner.  The resultant corner kick from Chris Peel saw Perrow find the net, but referee Ellis disallowed the goal for a handball.

Chasetown's Dean Perrow prepares to score, only to see his goal against Marine disallowed. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown's Dean Perrow prepares to score, only to see his goal against Marine disallowed. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown’s woes were compounded two minutes later as Perrow was dismissed for dissent, and Marine’s victory was sealed.

The Scholars will pick themselves up in readiness for their clash with FC Halifax Town at the Scholars Ground on Saturday (August 28th), kick off 3pm, and fans are advised to arrive early with a large crowd expected.

Chasetown: Price, Farmer, M Branch, Cohen, Saunders, Teesdale (c), Stephens, J Branch, Hay, Perrow, Jevons.  Subs: Ryan (Stephens 65), D Smith, Peel (M Branch 69), Horton, Swann-Horler (Saunders 59).
Marine: McMahon, Callacher, Doyle, Shaw, Hussey, Parle (c), Doherty, Goulding, Moore, Rainford, Johnson.  Subs: Rushton, Cass, Leadbetter (Doherty 78), Strickland, Cumisky.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.