The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Chasetown FC 2 Colwyn Bay FC 2

Chasetown's Gary Birch takes the ball away from his marker. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown's Gary Birch takes the ball away from his marker. Pic: Dave Birt

Colwyn Bay FC maintained their unbeaten away record despite the best efforts of Chasetown FC in a hugely entertaining 2-2 draw.

A fast-paced match more reminiscent of a cup tie saw a plethora of chances for both sides, with a real scoring burst in the second half amid a highly charged atmosphere.

Chasetown made a rapid start and Mark Branch made the first attack in the opening minute, while fellow returnee Dean Perrow cut in from the left in the fourth minute but his low cross rolled across the face of goal.

Fans were left puzzled as to how Perrow failed to open the scoring in the seventh minute, as the striker found himself in space on the left but struck his shot too tamely and keeper Chris Sanna was able to collect.

The Bay took time to get themselves together as they fought to preserve their away record, Karl Noon finding their first opportunity but Ryan Price got down low to block his shot and Richard Teesdale cleared.

Perrow went close again following a Dave Bridgewater free kick, before play slowed a little until Michael McGraa fired just wide from 20 yards.  Dave Egan and Gary Birch were combining well at the front just as in previous games for the Scholars, the former going close with a shot on the half hour.

Both sides were creating plenty of chances but the target could not be found.  Sanna punched away a long ball from Mark Branch and Colwyn Bay forced the game’s first corner in the run-up to the break, but still the finishing touch was not forthcoming.

Dean Perrow makes it 1-0 to Chasetown against Colwyn Bay. Pic: Dave Birt

Dean Perrow makes it 1-0 to Chasetown against Colwyn Bay. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown began the second half in perfect fashion and on 48 minutes were in front.  Ramone Stephens burst down the right outpacing the Bay defence and crossed perfectly to Perrow who fired right-footed past Sanna to open the scoring.

The visitors equalised in the 57th minute when the ball bounced off Egan following an attack and McGraa found the net at the near post.  The linesman initially flagged for offside, but referee Weaver gave the goal amid slightly confused scenes.

Gary Birch restores Chasetown's lead. Pic: Dave Birt

Gary Birch restores Chasetown's lead. Pic: Dave Birt

With the home players and fans fired up, the Scholars went back into attacking mode, Mark Branch firing a free kick just wide, but on 70 minutes Birch was successful following a peach of a cross from John Branch and the hosts were back in front.

Their lead would last mere seconds as right from the kick-off a goalmouth scramble saw substitute Sam Bailey poke the ball home for a second equaliser.

Stephens was close to restoring Chasetown’s lead moments later but Sanna produced an excellent save to tip his shot over the bar, and the atmosphere had really come alive as a great scrap was played out.

Duncan Swann-Horler was next to go close but Sanna plucked his shot out of the air, and the Bay keeper was alert to a Birch header in the penultimate minute following a corner.  At the final whistle many agreed that a draw was a fair result following a cracking display from both sides.

There is more home action from the Scholars this Saturday (September 25) as they take on Bradford Park Avenue, 3pm kick-off.

Chasetown: Price, J Branch, M Branch, Cohen, Bridgewater, Teesdale (c), Stephens, Egan, Birch, Perrow, Jevons.  Subs: Ryan, D Smith (Stephens 80), Saunders (Bridgewater 85), Swann-Horler (Cohen 68), Hay.
Colwyn Bay: Sanna, Denson, Lea, Challinor, Grannon, McLachlan (c), Sheridan, Sheehan, Noon, Newby, McGraa.  Subs: Titchiner (Noon 66), O’Sullivan (McLachlan 85), Davey, Bailey (Sheehan 64), Metcalf.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.