The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Lichfield RUFC 23 Camp Hill RUFC 37

Lichfield went into their game against Camp Hill looking for their first home win of the season and after last week’s performance in Banbury spirits were running high.

The game started brightly but the hosts suffered an early setback in the second minute wen they conceded a penalty and Camp Hill took full advantage to take a 3-0 lead.

Lichfield came storming back and after some strong approach work from the forwards, Chris Upton crashed over for a try to give them a 5-3 lead in the ninth minute.

The Myrtle Greens sacrificed this lead in the 11th minute, a well struck penalty giving the visitors a 6-5 advantage.

Lichfield were playing well at this stage, the forwards were dominating the set piece and the backs were tearing through the opposition defence. Greg Massey and Tom Adams went close on several occasions with only the final pass or inconsistent handling letting the home side down – mistakes that would eventually prove costly.

In the 20th minute the Myrtle Greens took a deserved lead, Tom Paulson piling over from another massive scrum and the home side were 10-6 in front.

They stretched the lead in the 36th minute, a sweetly struck penalty from Luke Massey stretching the advantage to 13-6 and Lichfield looked well in control.

However in the last four minutes of the half Camp Hill were awarded a penalty and also scored a try when the home side failed to deal with an innocuous kick through to leave Lichfield 14-13 down.

Spirits were still high at the turnaround with Lichfield confident of dominating with a strong wind at their backs.

But it was the visitors who struck first, their centre breaking through to increase the lead to 19-13 in the 48th minute.

Lichfield were unbowed and a break from Greg Massey inside his 22 followed by a deft chip into space allowed Jack Sporcic to collect the ball just inside his own half. With support from both sides confusing the defence he took the space well and raced in under the posts, the dependable Luke Massey adding the extras and Lichfield were deservedly back in front at 20-19.

At this stage it looked like the hosts would stretch away but Camp Hill had other ideas. They controlled possession and would not allow Lichfield to settle into their rhythm. Chris Adams was replaced by Charlie Milner and Ben Sowden replaced Ollie Savage in an attempt to add impetus.

Camp Hill took full advantage of Lichfield’s inability to keep the ball and scored two tries, one converted and a penalty. The home side’s sole reply was a Luke Massey penalty making the final score 37-23 to the visitors.

This Saturday (October 16) Lichfield travel to Whitchurch looking to bounce back and continue their excellent away form.

Lichfield RUFC: Savage, Birnie, Bassett (c), Finnemore, Squire, Upton, Burton, Paulson; Butler, L Massey, Brown, Adams, G Massey, Brear, J Massey. Subs: Sowden, Milner and Sporcic.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.

Founder of LichfieldLive and editor of the site.