Paul Holt

New manager Paul Holt saw his Lichfield City side get their first points away from home this season with a deserved victory at Earlswood Town.

After the shock resignation of Russell Dodd and his support staff, a much changed Lichfield outfit came from behind to pick up a morale-boosting victory.

Paul Holt

It didn’t start perfectly for the former reserve team chief, though, with the visitors finding themselves a goal down in the fourth minute. A sloppily-conceded free kick on the edge of the area resulted in a an easy finish for striker Rob Hewitt to put the home side a goal up.

Lichfield found themselves on the back foot in the opening 15 minutes, but the home side were unable to really trouble keeper Chris Butler any further.

City began to get the ball down and play – and they soon created a fine opportunity for Ashley Bennett who fired wide when he should have done better.

Lichfield were now having the better of the procession and got a deserved equaliser right on the stroke of half-time when Tom Gilbey hit the post from a Josh Butler corner and Liam Holt was alert enough to fire in the rebound from 12 yards.

The goal gave the visitors a massive lift for the second half and they came out firing with Holt firing over from 10 yards and the tireless Jacob Snape forcing a great save from the home side’s keeper to keep the scores level.

Snape again went agonisingly close after a lob dropped the wrong side of the post.

But it wasn’t long before City got their noses in front when a well-worked free kick from new signing Josh Butler found captain Danny Worrall at the near post and he flicked the ball home.

Lichfield doubled the advantage barely two minutes as Tom Gilbey picked the ball up on the half-way line before beating three players and bending the ball in the bottom corner from 25 yards.

City were looking fluent on the ball and were the more likely to score as the game wore on. The midfield trio of Worrall, Holt and Reece were dictating play and making keeper Butler in the visiting goal a virtual spectator

Lichfield created one more opportunity with Holt firing high and wide when he had more time.

The home side pressed for the last ten minutes, but Danny Reeves and Todd Perry at the back were outstanding and restricted Earlswood to a couple of half chances that never troubled keeper Butler.

Lichfield comfortably played out the last few minutes untroubled to give their new manager the perfect start.

It wasn’t such a good day for the City reserve team, though, as they went down 4-1 at home in a local derby with Chasetown’s second string.

Next week sees City’s first team entertain Southam United at Brownsfield Park, kick-off 3pm.