Lichfield MP shrugs off criticism of Have I Got News For You appearance

Lichfield’s MP has shrugged off “vitriol” aimed at him after appearing on Have I Got News For You.

Michael Fabricant appeared alongside Paul Merton and Ian Hislop on the long-running BBC panel show on Friday (May 10).

Michael Fabricant MP with Ian Hislop on Have I Got News For You

Michael Fabricant MP (right) with Ian Hislop on Have I Got News For You

His appearance sparked much discussion on social media, but the MP himself insisted he wasn’t concerned by any of the criticism sent his way on Twitter.

He told his followers: “Thank you for all the lovely tweets.

“As for the seven hostile tweets, if it makes you happy to tweet vitriol then I’m happy for you to.”

Mr Fabricant insisted he did not regret appearing on the show.

He explained: “My one and only disappointment with the cut of Have I Got News For You was my plugs for Lichfield and LichVegas both got dumped on the cutting room floor.”

1. johnthemon

12th May, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Thank goodness for that, for the people of Lichfield’s sake, what might be acceptable for our MP Michael Fabricant most likly would not be acceptable to other people.

2. Northern Lass

12th May, 2013 at 6:06 pm

What’s this? A politician ignoring the general opinions of the public? Gosh, I almost fell off my chair. The man was racist, attention seeking and embarrassing. I’m PLEASED his mentions of Lichfield were left out. I think everyone I’ve come across wants him to have absolutely nothing to do with the area.

3. Jeff David

13th May, 2013 at 1:17 pm

As ever, our MP managed to off-set any criticism of him on Twitter by retweeting an endless stream of fatuous platitudes from an ever-willing supply of sycophants.

Thankfully none of them could disguise the fact that he was out of his depth on this programme, overshadowed by John Cooper Clarke in terms of wit and insightful comment…and it has to be head in terms of hair and style too.

Mr Fabricant continually proves himself to be a pygmy in a land of average-sized people.

4. colin

13th May, 2013 at 11:58 pm

He was out of his depth and not a meusli.

5. Paul Ashall

14th May, 2013 at 10:48 am

Utterly, utterly, utterly, utterly embarrassing. A complete cringe-fest, from start to finish. Why? How? What???

6. Darryl

14th May, 2013 at 11:01 am

That’s right Michael, everyone who disagrees with you can be brushed aside as ‘vitriol’.

The HIGNFY episode was a very small snippet of your twitter stream which people who are prepared to pander to your ego have your ear and anyone who has dissenting opinion is brushed aside as a troll.

Jeff David’s comment hit the nail on the head.

Hubris Fabricant, hubris.