The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Stocksbridge Park Steels FC 2 Chasetown FC 0

Mark Ward tackles Chasetown's Jimmy Turner. Pic: Dave Birt

Mark Ward tackles Chasetown's Jimmy Turner. Pic: Dave Birt

Chasetown FC’s good run of form came to an end as they lost out 2-0 to Stocksbridge Park Steels FC.

A defensive mix-up and a power shot from Mark Ward proved the difference in a decent battle with both sides enjoying plenty of chances.

After a quiet opening the Steelmen found the first chance when Jack Muldoon fired a loose ball against Scholars keeper Ryan Price’s legs, the resultant corner being over-hit and cleared.

Grant Ryan went close on two occasions for the visitors, his first shot from a Dave Egan cross caught by Dave Ratcliffe in the Steels goal and his second going wide after a ball into the area was headed down to the striker.
Price palmed away a 25-yard shot from Muldoon, while Danny Edwards combined well with Gary Hay on several occasions but the deadlock was still not broken.

That was soon to change, however, and Ben Jevons had the ball in the net for Chasetown on 35 minutes but the goal was ruled offside, and one minute later Stocksbridge had the lead when Ward smashed a shot from the edge of the area over Price after a one-on-one with John Branch.

Three minutes later the hosts’ lead was doubled as Dan Dillon intercepted when Matty Cohen tried to shepherd the ball back to Price, and Dillon slipped the ball under the keeper’s body for Stocksbridge’s second.

The Steelmen could have made it three just after the break but Richard Teesdale was able to delay Ward’s shot and he fired straight at Price.

Gary Hay forces the Stocksbridge keeper into a reaction save. Pic: Dave Birt

Gary Hay forces the Stocksbridge keeper into a reaction save. Pic: Dave Birt

The Chasetown keeper putt in an impressive performance throughout the second half with a low dive to block a Muldoon shot which was then cleared and then whipping the ball from Dillon’s toe as he tried to shoot, before his highlight came on 72 minutes when he produced a fingertip save to deny Muldoon once more.

Dave Egan and Jevons both had chances blocked and John Branch’s cross was headed behind, while Ward again went close on two occasions as the chances continued to flow, but no further strikes were forthcoming and the Scholars suffered their first league defeat in over a month.

Chasetown now take on Nantwich Town at the Scholars Ground tomorrow (October 26), 7.45pm kick-off, before turning their attention back to the FA Carlsberg Trophy when they visit Mickleover Sports on Saturday (3pm kick-off).

Stocksbridge: Ratcliffe, Ludlam, Davies, Haigh, Lovell (c), Hawes, Cullery, Dillon, Muldoon, Ward, Smith.  Subs: Leonard (Cullery 86), Schofield, Wooley (Muldoon 84), Dawson, Stirrup.
Chasetown: Price, J Branch, M Branch, Cohen, Bridgewater, Teesdale (c), Edwards, Egan, Hay, Ryan, Jevons.  Subs: Birch (Hay 67), Parsons, Stephens (Edwards 55), Turner (Bridgewater 55), Thompson.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.