Full list of Lichfield District Council local election candidates confirmed

The Conservatives have picked up seven seats at Lichfield District Council – despite the local elections being a month away.

Polling station sign. Pic: Neil Wykes

The early confirmation of councillors comes after four wards did not have enough candidates for a vote to take place:

Bourne Vale
Brian Yeates (Cons)

Little Aston and Stonnall
Elizabeth Little (Cons)
Joseph Powell (Cons)

Longdon
Robert Strachan (Cons)

Whittington and Streethay
David Leytham (Cons)
Harry Warburton (Cons)
Alan White (Cons)

However, seats will be contested across the remaining wards with the representatives from Labour, the Conservatives, the Liberal Democrats, the Green Party, UKIP and independent candidates battling out for the remaining seats at Lichfield District Council:

Alrewas and Fradley
Derick Cross (Cons)
David Cullen (Lab)
Michael Wilcox (Cons)
Sonia Wilcox (Cons)
Alison Wright (Lab)

Armitage with Handsacre
Lindsey Baker (Lab)
Nicholas Binney (Cons)
Richard Cox (Cons)
Steve Hyden (No party indicated)
Tom Marshall (Cons)

Boley Park
Linda Dickins (Lib Dem)
Janet Eagland (Cons)
Veran-Elise Palmer (Lab)
Christine Rapley (Lib Dem)
Mark Warfield (Cons)

Boney Hay and Central
Rob Birch (Lab)
Di Evans (Lab)
Thomas Loughbrough Heron (Cons)
Robin Place (Cons)

Samuel Tapper (Cons)

Colton and the Ridwares
Shirley Barnett (Cons)
Colin Noble (Lab)

Curborough
Colin Ball (Lab)
Christopher Cadwallader-Allan (Lib Dem)
Daniel Floyd (Cons)

Highfield
Wai-Lee Ho (Cons)
Elaine Kirkham (Lab)
Douglas Pullen (Cons)
Jane Smith (Lab)

Leomansley
Lee Cadwallader-Allan (Lib Dem)
Jamie Checkland (Cons)

John Smith (Lib Dem)
Christopher Spruce (Cons)
Benjamin Watkins (Lab)
Paul Yeo (Lib Dem)

Stowe
Jeyan Anketell (Ind)
Alasdair Brooks (Lib Dem)
Matthew Field (Lab)
Colin Greatorex (Cons)
Angela Lax (Cons)
Paul McDermott (Lib Dem)
Jon O’Hagan (Cons)
Richard Rathbone (Lib Dem)
Alan Schofield (UKIP)
Christoper Wilkinson (Ind)

Summerfield and All Saints
Bernard Brown (Lab)
Laura Ennis (Lab)
John Hitchin (UKIP)
Ken Humphreys (Cons)
Natasha Pullen (Cons)
Roy Tovey (Lab)
Heather Tranter (Cons)

Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!

1. Nodge

4th April, 2019 at 4:31 pm

Interesting to see Jeyan Anketell has decided to leave his long-standing membership of the Lib Dems and stand as an Independent.

2. Christine Rapley

4th April, 2019 at 5:10 pm

I have been missed off the list for Chadsmead Ward. I am one of those standing for the Liberal Democrats. I share the aspirations of the Lib Dems for a fair society.

3. Philip John

4th April, 2019 at 5:21 pm

“Steve Hyden (No party indicated)

And is this the Steve Hyden that stood in the General Election for Labour in 2010?

4. Ross

4th April, 2019 at 5:49 pm

Hi Christine – the data has been taken from the official LDC notice of candidates for election – I’ve just double-checked and you don’t appear on their statement of persons nominated for Chadsmead, so you may need to query it with them directly. Happy to amend if it’s updated by LDC.

5. Christine Rapley

4th April, 2019 at 5:53 pm

Hi Ross, I have received my letter today from the District Council. I could scan and email to you but don’t have an email address for you. I guess anyway that you need the confirmation direct from them. Will contact them.

6. Ross

4th April, 2019 at 5:58 pm

Hi Christine, the link in my previous comment should show what’s showing on the LDC site.

4th April, 2019 at 6:00 pm

Michael Wilcox (Cons)
    Sonia Wilcox (Cons)

God help us.

8. Ally M

4th April, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Time for Wilcox to stand down. His wife in too. What a joke.

9. Rob

4th April, 2019 at 6:54 pm

Lol Steve that just got me playing a record by Toyah Wilcox called ” It’s A Mystery “

10. Richard Cox

4th April, 2019 at 6:57 pm

Steve Hyden is the same Steve Hyden who stood in 2010 General Election for Labour

11. Christine Rapley

4th April, 2019 at 7:27 pm

Hi Ross, I have checked and due to being a novice to electioneering – I had not read carefully enough. The list for Chadsmead I enquired about is for District Council elections. I am on your list for Boley Park (with a typo Christin instead of Christine). I am on the list for Chadsmead City election not District. Apologies – for my error. Please delete my comments if you like as they are now just clutter!

12. Ross

4th April, 2019 at 8:07 pm

Hi Christine, glad that’s sorted (and the typo has been corrected).

13. Monty

4th April, 2019 at 8:55 pm

Yeah – surely Wicox has to go?? How much more of a bad job does someone need to do to get kicked out? Lichfield literally cannot financially afford to keep him.

All those voting in the upcoming elections – please just ask yourselves, “how much time can my preferred candidate give to the role of councillor”?. It’s an important question that I feel is often overlooked.

14. John Griffin

5th April, 2019 at 8:17 am

Wonder if Hydens signatories thought he was standing for Labour? And Williscroft in Burntwood?

15. Nodge

5th April, 2019 at 10:27 am

If Alrewas and Fradley elect Mike Wilcox then I wager more than a few of us will look very dimly upon them.

16. Jane Dillon

6th April, 2019 at 12:20 pm

Robin Place

This chap sounds like a nightmare neighbor. I think this kind of behaviour is disgraceful of a former police officer and is not the sort of person that should be running in an election

17. DS

6th April, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Christine .. . Why Chadsmead (my ward) for LCC and Bailey Park for LDC?

18. Christine Rapley

8th April, 2019 at 10:30 am

I am not standing for District in Chadsmead because there are just two places. Paul Ray and Miles Trent have been working for residents there for a long time. So I am supporting them in standing for the City Council there and if elected will work with them for local residents.

19. Richard Cox

8th April, 2019 at 11:17 am

Honestly! Derogatory comments from contributors are neither constructive or helpful in the process. Such opinions should be contained to the rubbish bin when it becomes personal. You wonder why Conservative, Labour, Lib Dems, Greens and even Independants fail to provide candidates for each ward when all they are likely to get is abuse from armchair contributors.

All credit to anyone who wishes to stand for election to our councils whatever their persuasion to represent the whole district not just their ward. I for one have had great pleasure in representing Armitage with Handsacre Ward on LDC since 2003 and not to be self serving but working hard for the community I represent which now includes Kings Bromley and Hawksyard, the largest ward per electorate in the Lichfield District.

Come on everyone and that means all candidates, party activists and the public to understand it is time for mutual respect for one and each other

20. Cllr Sue Woodward

8th April, 2019 at 3:34 pm

I agree with fellow LDC councillor, Cllr Richard Cox, and not for the first time! It’s too easy to criticise people for standing as candidates and Parties for not fielding candidates in every ward. I’ve had more than my share of personal abuse (including from current Conservative councillors and candidates) but the ballot box is where to air any grievances or perhaps directly with the individuals themselves or their Parties. We live in an open democracy and all councillors and candidates are contactable to test out their views and intentions.

21. BBB

8th April, 2019 at 6:33 pm

Elaine Kirkham – Booted off Hammerwich Parish Council for not attending the required number of council meetings. Seems she is standing for District and Burntwood Town Council but not Hammerwich Parish Council. Why? Embarrassed?

22. PolTol

14th April, 2019 at 11:44 am

Could anyone explain the situation with Keith Willis-Croft? When I saw his name I had swore he was labour in the last election? I tried to google him and found his twitter; @KeithWCroft where he states “Labour Town Councillor for Chasetown”. Has there been a mix up?

23. AnnS

14th April, 2019 at 1:08 pm

Probably not PolTol. I know of a Cllr who was a Labour person but stood as a Conservative because this person knew they would not get elected as a Labour cllr in the ward they were standing for.

24. Steve Norman

15th April, 2019 at 5:04 pm

He was a Labour Town Councillor for Chasetown Ward then resigned from the Town Council without giving any reason allowing Conservative Lichfield City Councillor (no, not a typo) Norma Bacon to be coopted on also on to Burntwood Town Council by her Conservative colleagues as well. She became s councillor for Lichfield District, Lichfield City and Burntwood. Three different wards I recall!

Almost all of the Conservative Town Councillors who coopted her are not standing for the Town Council now and Mrs Bacon is standing for the district in Chase Terrace Ward but for the Town elsewhere!

As for Mr Willis-Croft the Tories are beginning to think he is a plant by us but we’re not responsible for their selection process. He might now be making the (empty) threats, in meetings, that he used to make against Conservative district councillors and particularly Matthew Ellis as Police and Crime Commissioner against us.

If he knocks on your door (unlikely) ask him what he used to say.

25. Darryl Godden

15th April, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Only viable option for Shenstone is the Greens then, which I can live with, although my suspicion is the abundance of octogenarians in Shenstone will see the Tories claim they ‘speak for the people.’

If Mike Wilcox gets re-elected one has to wonder what the Conservatives would have to do to lose Lichfield, it almost feels like Mike Fabricant could rub the crack of his bottom against Johnson’s house and he’d still get in.