The only news website
dedicated to Lichfield & Burntwood

Burntwood RUFC bag a bonus point in win against Harborne

Burntwood RUFC set up their top of the table clash against Ludlow this Saturday with another bonus point win.

The hosts continued their free-scoring run in recent weeks with another eight tries after overcoming a shock start to the game against Harborne.

2016_1119harborne0037Sean Latham’s side received the opening kick off but somehow lost possession in the maul that followed and the visiting No 7 raced clean through to the line from 25 metres for a converted try.

However, it took only two minutes for Burntwood to reply following a burst by Luke Rookyard to earn a penalty which Sam Lloyd goaled from the opposition 22.

By the 10th minute the hosts were ahead and it was skipper Latham who featured in the build up. His thrust was supported by Ben Holt prior to Dave Ward wrestling his way over the line and under the posts for a try converted by Lloyd.

Three minutes later and they moved further ahead. Lloyd’s excellent penalty kick to the right corner set up a catch and drive attempt. It was held up so the ball was moved wide. Holt and Neil Holden threatened the line before the ball was moved back right for Rookyard to put Ian Jones over in the corner with a slick pass.

On 18 minutes Lloyd began a move which he also finished off. His break over halfway saw Brett Taylor go close before Rookyard rescued the move to feed Lloyd who crossed near the left corner.

The bonus point try was not long in coming and that man Rookyard was again involved in the build up. His initial charge enabled the backs to put Holden away to the left corner in the 23rd minute. Aza Dunet’s conversion attempt came back off a post to leave the score at 25-7.

With Burntwood now clearly on top, several probing runs were finished off by Josh Canning who forced his way over the line for a try converted by Dunet. Shortly afterwards, Canning needed attention for a facial blood injury and Pat Bayliss replaced him.

Harborne enjoyed a spell of pressure in the five minute period up to half time. The home defence was tested in their own 22 and remained solid until a clearance kick was run back and the impressive Harborne No 10 got through for a try and conversion.

That left the half time score at 32-14 but there was time for Canning to re-enter the field before the turnaround.

Both sides were guilty of handling errors when in good positions early in the second period. It was not until the 51st minutes that the scoreline changed. The hosts worked their way downfield. Scrum half Taylor went for the line from a set piece. Ward retained possession and Canning went over for his second try, converted by Lloyd.

Six minutes later and Rookyard added a deserved try of his own, running straight and at pace after being supplied by Holt on the Harborne 22.

As Burntwood looked for more points, Harborne lost a player to the sin bin for illegally bringing down a close range scrum.

Within a minute Holt made them pay with a try in the left corner having benefited from a clever delayed pass from Rookyard. Dunet added a fine conversion from the touchline.

That concluded the scoring although it needed a good tackle by Owen Rookyard in the final minute to deny the flying Harborne left winger.

There was a narrow 19-15 defeat for Burntwood 2nds at home to Shrewsbury 2nds.

This Saturday undefeated Ludlow are the visitors to The Sportsway – kick off 2.15pm. The 2nds are away to Gnosall and the 3rds are due to play at Swinfen.

A volunteer wrote this. Say thanks with a coffee.


Advertise here and reach 10,000 visitors every month!